Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chasing Dreams With Bloodied Knuckles: {Upstate NY Wedding and High School Senior Photographer}

Don't you love all the cute quotes you see on Instagram and Facebook?
- "Be Fearless"
-"Do something every day that scares you"
-"Follow Your Passion"

Amazing right?  Those quotes stir something inside you and you just want to fist pump to the sky..."FOLLOW MY PASSION"!    You picture yourself running the steps in sync with Rocky
Balboa ( don't act like you haven't done that).
That fist pump then slams into reality and it scrapes and bloodies your knuckles.

Because let's be honest
- "You aren't good enough"
- "EVERYONE is a photographer, you are no different"
- "You hate failure"

So, I am going to share a little story with you. It's not my story, but you will see its application.  Let me comfort you right now with these few simple things:
- You will fail when you try something new.
- There will always be someone better than you.
- You will get frustrated.
- You will get hurt.
- You will accomplish what you set out to do, but first, you have to set out to do it.
- Your failure will be your greatest asset.
- Bloody knuckles will be worth it
May I introduce Jill Kemerer.  This lovely woman (and friend) has been writing brilliant stories for years.  No one understands failure, rejection and accomplishment more than she does.  I am going to wish her congratulations on being a PUBLISHED author by Harlequin. It still gives me goosebumps that she did it.

Read on: Blog post by (PUBLISHED author) Jill Kemerer.

Celebration Time! I SOLD!!


I can't believe I'm writing this post. 821 blog posts and I'm finally writing it.

I sold a book to Harlequin Love Inspired!!!

Yes!! I. Sold. A. Book.

The current title is Her Wedding Hero and will be released in April 2015! Amazing!!
I don't know about you, but whenever I hear a writer sold her first book, I'm curious about her writing path. Let's go back, shall we?

1992 - I throw a romance novel across the wall, mutter "I can do better than that," and decide I will. I write twenty-two pages of a dippy romance where the hero and heroine have no problems and go on fun dates. It hits me that characters need problems or the book ends at page twenty-three.

1996 - Browsing a bookstore, I find How to Write a Romance and Get It Published by Kathryn Falk. I'm mesmerized. A manual? For a job I never dared dream about? I'm in! I devour this thick book.

1997 - Nine months pregnant with our first child, I quit my job. My husband and I agree I'll be a stay-at-home-mom. I announce my next career will be writing romance novels for--wait for it--Harlequin!

2004 - After years of putting writing on hold, I'm itching to get back into it. Our youngest will be in pre-school soon. I join a local writing group and get very excited about our assignments. Publishing feels real again.

2007 - I join RWA. My youngest will enter Kindergarten, so I begin writing full time. I finish a romance novel--a delightful kidnapping/private island contemporary. Imagine my giddiness when Harlequin Romance requests a partial! This is it! I'm on my way! (On a side note, I believe this was when I said, "I'll give it a year. If I don't get published, I'll find a job." *snort*)
To read her full blog post:  http://nblo.gs/YkSYw

1 comment:

Jill Kemerer said...

Amber, you're making me get all teary (still a crybaby!!). It means so much to me that you shared my story. I wanted to quit so many times, and I'm so glad I didn't! Thanks for making this celebration even more special!