Monday, January 30, 2012

Thinking of Child/Family Portraits? It Doesn't Have To Be Stressful

Many times parents put off getting family portraits done or even having their children photographed because they feel their children won't behave or are too shy. They also have a hard time FINDING time...I hear ya on that one.

I have a few varying opinions on this.  First of all, I know heading into a family setting with young children, that their attention span is limited and posing is NOT fun.

Family and children photography sessions don't have to be stressful. Think of it more like inviting a photographer along for a family outing.  Have a family day scheduled, invite a photographer along for part of it.  I actually have never really posed a child, they pose themselves and I love shooting on location.
So if you are thinking of family photos or child portraits these are a few ideas :
1. Let's go where they can play. Play with your children, you find the most beautiful moments aren't planned.
2. Dress them comfortably. They can be cute and comfy at the same time!!
3. Allow for time. I take the time to talk and play with the child before the camera comes out. Once they are comfortable, the smiles will come
4. Laugh with your children.
5. Patience. After having two boys of my own, I know children work on their own time schedule and any good photographer will have the patience and kindness to garner amazing shots of your child.
6. Don't stress. Photographers know what they are getting into photographing children, haha and we love it :)
7. Plan the day around it. Go on a family picnic, go fishing, go for a hike, play at the park...there will be a million moments to photograph just by simply being a family,.
8. All in all, photo session in the morning or after a good nap are always great. Well fed and well rested kiddos are happy ones!!! ( I mean, aren't we all that way!?!)

:)

 I picked out the outfits, I told them to go play...and then I asked them to quickly look at me...and hello cutie pies!!
 I let this handsome guy pick up apples off the ground. This series was to die for! Just followed him around!!
I loved this shot. We were actually almost done with the shoot and she went and stood by the door. She wanted to go in and get her little bike, but she paused for a moment by the door...and something about this shot is very nostalgic to me!
If you are thinking of scheduling a shoot...go for it.

No comments: