Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Upstate NY Wedding Photographer: The First Look

 "The First Look" What is it and is it for you?

Professionally: There is no right or wrong way to develop this moment.  The first look is a small, sweet time set aside for the bride and groom to see each other for the first time before the actual ceremony takes place.  This can be a private moment or a moment shared with the bridal party and immediate family.

I have had very traditional brides and non-traditional brides opt for this moment and all of the emotion it still carries. 

Personally: I enjoy the first look immensely. I don't pull or push in either direction for it, as it's always up to the bride and groom. It's about them, not myself.  The images from those moments are some of the most touching memories I have had the honor of being a part of.  Here are a couple first looks from 2012 as well as some insights from one of the brides.

"The first look ceremony was exactly what my now husband and I needed! Being the emotional sap I am ANYWAY, I couldn't even imagine Seeing my guy for the first time in front of all our guests knowing I would be a sobbing mess! It was such a special moment for the both of us, just for us to share before the celebration really began with all our family and friends. Plus, I got the chance to "get myself together" right before the ceremony. And after all, isn't that what ultimately it's about? That special bond between you and your soul mate when you are alone with the person your head over heels in love with?
 I would highly recommend it to other brides. It doesn't at all take away from the moment you walk down he aisle. It just makes it that much more special!" - Patricia (Bride)
The moment he sees her
A small gift for his princess
A little moment in time




The beginning for Patricia and Walter...
 This wedding involved the bridal party. The bride, Heather was presented to her groom who waited for her on the side walk.  Everyone eagerly anticipated the moment as she walked out of the house. When she was ready, her groom turned to see her.  The cheers and tears even gave me goosebumps.
Heather's thoughts on The First Look: 
"First of all, I would recommend it to anyone! It was totally non-traditional but was such a special moment for us. Not only did it free up tons of time after the ceremony (when people normally do pics, I think?!) but it was such an intimate time for us, our best friends and  family. (The pictures are pretty awesome too!)
At the time and leading up to the first look, I was nervous and I think Eric was too It was excited-nervous, though. We were ready! I felt more relaxed walking down the aisle because of the first look, giving me a chance to focus on our beautiful surroundings (and my bawling Dad) rather than my nervousness.
Amber, you were crucial in organizing the first look and helping it go smoothly, so thank you."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I videotaped a first look years ago. It was 1 of my favorite moments looking back on my years as a wedding videographer. Here's why-
There are no rules. No one is watching! You're not entertaining an audience like you are in a wedding ceremony, so the emotion is real & unbridled!