Friday, February 15, 2013

Upstate NY Photographer: Inspiration for writing wedding vows

There are more songs written about love, there are more quotes about love and there are more poems about love than any other subject.  I have had a few brides wanting to write their own vows and words can be a tricky thing.  How can you define feelings with words?  It's not easy and I feel that is why there can be difficulty in doing such a monumental task.
A few suggestions and a few inspirational quotes to jump start you.

1. Keep it simple. Take one moment you have shared an indulge in it's story. Your first date, your most embarrassing moments, the first time "I love you" was said. Expand on the simple moments.

2. Don't write for the ceremony, write for each other. 

3. Don't put pressure on yourself to make it perfect, you aren't perfect, neither is your partner.  Roll with it.

4. Write down random ideas as they come to mind.(just maybe not while you are driving). Make notes and then when you have some time, go through them, see what comes to mind over days and weeks. You may write your vows without even knowing it!

5. Enjoy this. This is a time to go back and see where your relationship has grown. Why do you trust and love this person more than any other? Why do you feel safe and secure in this person and where do you see yourself in years to come.

6. Don't write something you are not. If you are not a creative and witty writing genius, then don't be. Write down your thoughts as they are. Using words and phrasing that aren't yours...well just doesn't work. Be simple, be cute, be fun, be serious, be lighthearted...just be you. Please.

Here are some quotes I found, that I love.  Enjoy and good luck! (The third one is my favorite)

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

"You can talk with someone for years, everyday, and still, it won't mean as much as what you can have when you sit in front of someone, not saying a word, yet you feel that person with your heart, you feel like you have known the person for forever.... connections are made with the heart, not the tongue."

“You only need one man to love you. But him to love you free like a wildfire, crazy like the moon, always like tomorrow, sudden like an inhale and overcoming like the tides. Only one man and all of this.”

“If I am to be fallen into love, I will. And if as a result I will appear to be stupid, disillusioned, and of poor judgment, I will. And I would be damned if I cared what other people think. For I would rather be thought of as all of these things, than not love. If in loving, I become the naked woman on the horse, I will ride that horse with my head held high. This is my spirit. I am unbreakable.”

“A sacrifice to be real must cost, must hurt, and must empty ourselves. Give yourself fully to God. He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in his love than in your weakness.”

“Before, I wanted to say: "I found love!" But now, I want to say: "I found a person. And he belongs to me and I belong to him.”

Be inspired!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait for our 50th anniversary to celebrate and perhaps redo our vows!!