Thursday, May 16, 2013

Upstate NY Photographer: BRAVE : My brother

I'll keep this short and sweet.  I had chosen to feature my brother in this ongoing BRAVE series last week and then yesterday slipped away from (when I meant to publish this) and so I am finishing it up this morning. Why is that important? Because, today..May 16, marks 10 years since his devastating car accident. I did NOT plan that. In fact, it wasn't until this morning that it hit me that today was THE day a decade ago.
So yes, 10 years ago my brother was t-boned by a van and his body suffered barely a scratch, his brain suffered everything.
He is a miracle. No doctor, no brain surgeon, no MRI, no evaluation gave him a chance of surviving the first 24-48 hours. I have never cried so much in my life. I have never seen my parents hurt so much either.
But let's not dwell on that. Let's focus on the fact that 10 years later, my brother has overcome amazing odds with the direction of our God and savior who has blessed him with survival and quality of life.  He has married someone I can honestly call my sister and he has a job that I don't really understand in computers.
He has had hurdles that I don't need to explain, but as you can imagine, anyone suffering from a traumatic brain injury has monumental obstacles to overcome.  He has relearned life again, my family and I have relearned God's grace.  Joshua is brave.  He has faced more than a lot of people and he still gives God all the credit. He is just, fair and honest. He is a leader, stubborn and faithful to the Lord.  Today, I celebrate his life and that I have had 10 more years with one of the most BRAVE people I know.



Jeremiah 29:11-14a For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD... (NKJV)
Thank you to everyone who touched our lives during that time..there are too many to reach out to and I am afraid I'll forget someone. Thank you to the staff and wonderful people at SunnyView Rehabilitation Center in Schenectady. You were truly our lifeline. 
For an inside look there is a facebook page to raise awareness for Traumatic Brain injuries
It's motorcycle awareness month. Just be careful :)


3 comments:

Waylen O. Bray said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Dolphinlvr1424 said...

God does such wonderful things!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful story am so happy your brother is doing so amazing. It is a combination of his will and desire his awesome team at Sunnyview and his amazing family who never gave up on him and what they needed to do to help him in anyway possible. I am 3 1/2 years post TBI. Life has changed in many ways but it has drawn all the family even closer I didn't think that was possible but it did. Choosing your brothers story as your feature story is touching and beautiful. I pray that life for your brother continues to be full of love,happiness, health and many joyous times ahead. Im in upstate NY I also have a friend nearby whose daughter suffered a TBI 7 months ago spent a little time also at Sunnyview. She is a fighter and each day is moving forward hope she will also be able to be like your brother and get married and live aa normal a life as possible. Thank you for sharing your story. God Bless