Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Upstate NY Photographer: One Year Ago....

November 1, 2012 - marked the "one year ago" date.  The day I actually walked out the door of my full time job as a writer and photojournalist for a weekly paper in Stamford.  So many maybe's ahead of me it was mind numbing.

Personally: Irene had just devastated so much of what I knew to be home, my slight quandary seemed a little less dramatic.  My maybe's turned into knowing. I KNEW photography was what I wanted to do. There have been some ups and downs along the way, if I told you any different ..that would be a lie.  My confidence ebbs and flows with the tide of my personality. Just like you, sometimes I feel like I've nailed it, sometimes I scratch my head wondering what I did wrong.  It's what make me.. me.

Professionally: I am learning to love light. Sound weird?  It's a love/hate relationship.  As a photographer you have to learn light. Sounds professionally anemic to say that, but I know many people who shy away from truly learning what light is about. I have A LOT still to learn, but the very concepts that used to make me queasy, I find more thrilling.  Speedlights, off camera lights, sunlight, soft box, low light..it's all starting to pull together as I find my niche.
Someone asked me what I would like to specialize in...and I had to think.  Honestly, it came down to one word. Emotion.  Trust me with your emotions and everything else falls into place.



 Inspiration point: Jasmine Star, Irene hits home,

It's not about the ending, it's about the story.
 

No comments: