Friday, December 14, 2012

Upstate NY Photographer: Life and Photography And Mercer Mayer

Small little fact. I love Mercer Mayer's books. I have a stack of them in my studio and find that those little critters can teach a lot of lessons.  So I decided to adapt them a little bit to what is going on behind the scenes as wedding season has wound down a little and I am preparing for 2013.


"Sometimes things just aren't fair..."
It's the first line of the book. Do I even need to go further?

Professionally:  Sometimes things aren't fair.  In a profession like photography I work with all sorts of people. Sometimes people get jobs that I really wanted to take on. Sometimes I work really, really hard at something and no one seems to really appreciate it. Sometimes, it just so happens...it doesn't go my way. Go figure. It happens to all of us. It happens to everyone.  The reaction to the problem is what will make me better at what I do. I'm ok with that. Are you?

Personally: "That's not fair!" Sometimes I go kicking and screaming into something I don't want to do. I had a good friend tell me to write a mission statement about the kind of photography I wanted to take on and why.  Why? because I was taking on jobs I knew I didn't really want to do because I felt I could do it all. I can't. (gasp!)  Sometimes, I can look at things with a "not fair" attitude and realize it's so self defeating! Not fair SHE has the kind of camera, Not fair HE gets that wedding..on it can go.  Missions statement is in the works.  I'm glad sometimes life isn't fair. It forces us in a direction we, perhaps would not have chosen otherwise :)


No comments: